Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Tools and programs I'm using in "Blox"

Okay I figured I'd do a quick little post on what programs I'm using for my current project "Blox".
If you wanna read a little more about the programs I mention you can go here and read about them.

So with not further ado I'll get on with it!


Graphics:


For graphics I am purely using GIMP 2.8.14 so far, I have GIMP 2.6 but I'm not using it right now.
I have done minor edits in Gamemaker, but as of now nothing in game maker was created there graphically. Only tests.



Sounds:


For sounds I'm usind Sony Acid (free version) to make all the sounds that aren't music in the game. Music I am not composing myself, but going to get via creator commons legally free music.
I also use GoldWave to convert the .mp3 sounds in to .wav.







Technical:


I'm using a few programs and tools for what I would call technical work. Like making lists, making notes, some coordinates and pixel size picking. Things like that.


1. Word Pad

  I know Word Pad isn't the best program since it doesn't even have a spell checker, but for what I need it for it works fine! I use word pad to make my "to do lists" for a game, as I want to do stuff I'll add it to the list. This is good for marking off so I can feel that I accomplished something and typing is much faster than a hand-written list.






2. Calculator

Image Not Mine

    I use this to find coordinates on the (X, Y) axis, it's very helpful and much faster than doing math on paper. I also use this for sprite sizes to keep things in the theme of multiples of 16.






 

3. Sketch Book


  I developed my current points-system in my sketch book using normal tools most people have, it's good because of the freedom I feel when I work that way. The free flow of ideas or in this case a system, lots of things work themselves out using a sketch book.


How I drafted my points system using a sketch book.

Usefulness of Sketch Books




4. Internet


I use the internet to look up how to fix bugs, find out how to create things and for any other research I might need.



Putting it all together:


I use GameMaker to put my games together, it's a reasonably easy program to learn and I enjoy using it. I've recently recieved 8.1 and I'm enjoying it. I also edit minor graphics in gamemaker and crop images and change the angles, you know the little things that are just easier in gamemaker instead of GIMP.




I hope this was helpful or interesting!


~ God Bless ~


~ Firefly

No comments: